Solutions on How to Unlock HP Laptop
Nowadays, people usually set access password to protect computer and personal data from unauthorized access. In general, the more complex the password is, the higher security level of the computer has. However, here comes the problem that users may forget the password especially when it is too strong. As it is a common issue bothering many users, I will share some practical solutions provided by MiniTool Software to unlock HP laptop. If you are not HP user, some methods are still useful.
4 Ways to Unlock HP Laptop on If You Forget the Password
Way 1: Use Hidden Administrator
There is a fact you may not know that the administrator account has most control over your computer or laptop. So, you can use it to manage password. Of course, it allows you to reset the password if you’ve forgotten the original one.
If there is not an available administrator account to access, you need to activate the hidden administrator account to perform this operation.
Please follow these steps to reset password with another account:
- Step 1: Choose another account to log in from user list on the login screen. Or activate the hidden administrator account by pressing Shift button for 5 times.
- Step 2: Go to Control Panel > User Accounts > User Accounts.
- Step 3: Choose this option Manage another account and select the locked account.
- Step 4: Click Change the password and create new password in the new interface. Finally, click Change password to confirm.
After that, you can sign out this account and then log in the locked account with new password.
Way 2: Use HP Recovery Manager
Apart from the administrator account, you can also use HP Recovery Manager, a built-in utility of HP laptop. Before using this tool, something about it you need to know.
When you use HP Recovery Manager, the System Recovery feature will format the system drive. In addition, the Windows system as well as hardware drivers and software will be reinstalled. This it to say all data on the system drive will be removed.
But there is no need to worry about data loss since you can choose to back up the data during the process. Here is the tutorial:
- Step 1: Restart the laptop to get the log in screen. Press Shift and choose Restart.
- Step 2: Click Troubleshoot and then open Recovery Manager. Click System Recovery to continue.
- Step 3: Choose Back up your Files first (recommended) option. Pick up the file types you need to back up and select a storage location to keep them.
- Step 4: After the backup process finishes, click Next to go on the recovery.
Just wait patiently until the recovery process ends. Then, reboot the laptop to see if you can access it without using password.
Way 3: Use Password Reset Disk
If you have created a password reset disk, it will be much easier to unlock HP laptop by using it.
- Step 1: Put the password reset disk in your HP laptop.
- Step 2: Start your laptop and enter a wrong password on the login screen. When you see the prompt of incorrect password, just click OK to continue.
- Step 3: Click Reset password when addition login option comes into sight.
- Step 4: Follow wizard to create a new password. Click Next.
You need to know that password reset disk only works on the computer or laptop, on which it is created. If this tool has not been created on the current HP laptop before, you may try some professional programs like PassFab 4WinKey instead of this tool.
Way 4: Factory Reset
Factory reset is also a method to unlock HP laptop when you forget the password. This feature is easy but very useful. However, like the previous solution, the disadvantage is that you will lose all data in the primary partition.
Don’t worry. HP Recovery Manager can assist you to complete Factory Reset.
- Step 1: Restart your laptop. Press F11 continuously when the laptop is booting.
- Step 2: When you see the backup option, click Back up your files first, and then click Next.
- Step 3: Click Next again to begin the recovery process, during which the primary partition will be formatted and you will lose the files as well as password.
This method is effective to remove the password, but it will not be recommended since HP Recovery Manager can’t get into the recovery partition in most cases. So, you may be at the risk of losing data.
To protect the files in the primary partition, you need to copy them to another storage location in advance. Here you can choose a reliable partition manager for help – MiniTool Partition Wizard.
Please follow this tutorial:
- ① Download and install this App. Register it to the Pro Ultimate edition. Connect an external storage device to laptop.
- ② Use the Bootable Media Builder to make a bootable USB disk, with which you can boot your HP laptop.
- ③ Go to main interface, right click the boot drive and click Copy.
- ④ Choose the external storage device to hold the partition. Click Next.
- ⑤ Configure the new partition according to your demands. Click Finish.
- ⑥ Finally, click Apply to make the changes effective.
When these steps are finished, you can begin to reset HP laptop to factory settings without worrying about data loss. Just navigate to Troubleshoot > Reset this PC > Remove everything > Only the drive where Windows is installed > Remove files and clean the drive.
So, don’t worry when you forget the HP laptop login password. There are 4 methods displayed to unlock HP laptop. Maybe not every solution fits you. Just choose a suitable one according to your actual case.
If you have any suggestions or ideas after trying these methods, please share with us in the following comment section. Thanks for reading.